Highway Safety Events and Resources
Check out this sampling of the prime sources of information for this website; many additional links to organizations, programs and resources at the end of this Resources page.
GHSA.org: Governors Highway Safety Association is where to look for your State Highway Safety – know where your state’s highway safety office is located
NAWHSL.org: The National Association of Women Highway Safety Leaders Leaders include the following: Kids in the Car with Grandparents and Others Who Care; Bee a Buckler, Ollie Otter and more. Their mission is to serve as a resource in the dissemination of information and educational programs to promote safe traffic behavior and to advocate for effective public programs to reduce motor vehicle related crashes, crash severity, and the resulting deaths and life-changing injuries.
USEP – OHIO, Inc.: Includes Discover Parenting, Kids in the Car with Grandparents and Others who Care.
USEP-OHIO’s mission is to promote the well being of families and to support those who work to nurture Ohio’s children by developing human and financial resources and programs to that end. They are a non-profit organization founded in the 1970’s. Efforts include lifelong learning approaches to parenting by offering advocacy and education to help parents and professionals connect with resources and educational opportunities to support their role.
- Healthy Start – Grow Smart page
- Comienzo Sano, Crece Lista
- Discover Parenting
- Kids in the Car with Grandparents and Others Who Care
- Child Safety page: has downloadable safety materials for home, highway, and school
- Cultural Clues and Cues: A guide for those wishing to communicate with those of diverse background and culture, recognizing uniqueness and honoring the character they bring to us
NHTSA.gov: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Focused on vehicles, transportation, and the behaviors around transportation and the Roadway. Includes information and resources to keep your children safe on the road. Whether you’re buying your child’s first car seat, deciding whether to let your kids walk to school or take a bus, handing the car keys to your teenager, or wondering how safe your car is, we’re here to answer your questions.
- Parents and caregivers resources page
- Adaptive Motor Vehicles for People with Disabilities
- Driver Assistance Technologies
- Air Bag Safety
- Child Car Seat Inspection Station Locator
- Easy Steps to Properly Fit a Bicycle Helmet
- Teen Driving
- How to Understand and Influence Older Drivers
- Car seat recommendations
- Child Safety Seat Recalls
- Safety Recalls – Safecar.gov
- Bike Safety for Adults
- Talking With Older Drivers About Safe Driving
- When to Call 911
Other Critical Partners in Safe Connections and Resources
FCCLA.org: Family, Career and Community Leaders of America is a national Career and Technical Student Organization that provides personal growth, leadership development, and career preparation opportunities for students in Family and Consumer Sciences education.
FCCLA’s mission is to promote personal growth and leadership development through Family and Consumer Sciences education. Focusing on the multiple roles of family member, wage earner and community leader, members develop skills for life through: character development, creative and critical thinking, interpersonal communication, practical knowledge, and career preparation. National programs include: Families First; Financial Fitness; Families Acting for Community Traffic Safety (FACTS); Power of One; Student Body and Career Connection.
- 2021 National Leadership Conference
- 2022 National Leadership Conference: June 29-July 3, 2022, San Diego, California
- Join FCCLA
SafeKids.org: Safe Kids Worldwide is a global organization dedicated to preventing injuries in children. Safe Kids works with an extensive network of more than 400 coalitions in the USA and partners with organizations in 25 countries around the world to reduce injuries from motor vehicles, sports, drownings, falls, burns, poisonings and more.
- Safe Kids Safety Tips by Age: Includes Activities, Checklists, Curriculum, Fact sheets, Infographic and Interactive Resources and Reports; videos and more
- Child Safety Laws By State
More links to organizations, programs and resources:
- AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Association of State Troopers (AAST)
- American Driver & Traffic Safety Education Association (ADTSEA)
- American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA)
- Brain Injury Association
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- FACE Truth and Clarity on Alcohol
- Federal Highway Administration
- General Federation of Women’s Clubs
- Governors’ Highway Safety Association (GHSA)
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- International Association of Chiefs of Police
- Kiwanis International
- Lions Clubs International
- Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Injury and Violence Prevention Program
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)
- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD)
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- National Organizations for Youth Safety
- National Road Safety Foundation
- National Safe Kids Campaign
- National Safety Belt Coalition
- National Safety Council
- Network of Employers for Traffic Safety (N.E.T.S.)
- Operation Lifesaver, Inc.
- Roadway Safety Foundation
- Rotary International
- Safe Ride News Publications
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Seat Check
- Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD)